Thursday, October 2, 2008

"The Heart" of our Stories!

In writers workshop we are working on personal narratives. We've talked a lot about establishing the "Heart" of our story. The "Heart" is the message or lesson that we are trying to convey. It's why the story matters to us and why we want to share it with everyone. Here are some samples...

Brielle: My story is about when I got my dog and the heart of my story is that you shouldn't give up if something is not working out and you should keep trying.

Lexi: My story is about me trying water skiing for the first time and my heart of the story is don't give up and keep trying and you'll do great!


Phoebe: My story is about one of the times I went to the Humane Society and met a dog. The heart of my story is that when you're doing something that is fun, think about how it's helping someone else.

Aly: My story is about my first trumpet lesson. My heart of the story that you should always try something new.

Makenzie: My story is about my first Noah's Ark trip. The heart of my story is the part when I was afraid that I was going to get hurt but I didn't.

Great job so far 4th graders! We'll check in with more of you tomorrow or next week.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, this is such a good blog. and an idea. :)

Mrs. Olson and Mrs. Gehrke said...

Thanks Lexi!

Anonymous said...

i love the way that we all get to be aprt of the blog!!!:)

Anonymous said...

me to!

Mrs. Olson and Mrs. Gehrke said...

Wow, fourth graders! I can't wait to talk with more of you about the heart of your stories! See you on Monday!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait one single minute!!!!!

Anonymous said...

i loved writing the heart of my story!and my whole story!

i love the blog!! i think it is so fun to go on and check out all of the new stuff!!

i also love the music selections!!
i love Jack Jhonson!! (if thats who it is)