
We started to learn about context clues in reading yesterday. Our focus was identifying words we were not familiar with and using the context (the text around the word) to help us figure out the meaning. After our mini-lesson, students returned to their independent books. When they came upon an unknown word, they attempted to use the context to find the meaning and if successful, they were allowed to take turns writing their new word and the definition on a poster.
One of the reasons we love teaching is the unexpected humor you find in particular tasks. This was a lesson that could have gone either way but much to my excitement, the class became very enthusiastic about heading back to their books and "discovering" new words.
When I looked at the poster this morning I had to giggle to myself at a few of the definitions. I'm not sure if you'll be able to read them from the picture (you can try clicking on it to have it enlarged) but my favorite was...
Word: Attitude Meaning: It's typical of boys
I'm not sure if it was intended to be funny or if that was truly the context around which the word was used but it provided me with a smile this morning and I thought it could many of you as well!




3 comments:
I like how that we have musci now and how we have a bolg and stof like so are pater can see what we are doing in school.
form makenzie so cool.
I love the caps for kids picture! and the song New soul my family bought it on itunes!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment