Saturday, November 14, 2009

I am very impressed...

WOW - We had one of those moments in class yesterday where I looked around and felt overwhelmed with pride.

The first real project of the year was due. It was a map activity where students were to show us their knowledge of the US Landforms as well as their map skills. They created their own US state and completed three constructed response questions.

We laid all of the maps out on the desks along with a blank piece of loose leaf and had a silent museum. The 25 of us walked around SILENTLY (It was the quietest I've heard them all year!!), looking at each others maps and reading the constructed responses. They wrote specific compliments to each other on the loose leaf.

I was shocked at how engaged they were with admiring the maps that their classmates created and loved that their compliments were so heartfelt. As I watched them circulate, and circulated myself, I was soooo proud of everyone. Some students really dove in and went above and beyond the expectations. You could tell they were proud of their work and there is nothing more rewarding as a teacher than to see a student work really hard on something and beam with pride when sharing it. Many of them kept passing by their own desks to read their compliments!!

Great job 4th graders. We look forward to seeing what comes of our next project and we are very proud to be your teachers. :)

No comments: